Content
Store
Forum

Rebirth of Reason
War
People
Archives
Objectivism

Post to this threadMark all messages in this thread as readMark all messages in this thread as unreadPage 0Page 1Forward one pageLast Page

Post 0

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 12:12amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit

I didn't write this, but there was no way to make that clear. I took it from another web site because I liked it. I've been annoyed by some people hiding their identities while most of us are open and honest about who we are and what we think.

Barbara

Post 1

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 1:50amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
I couldn't agree more, & have made clear many times that I regard pseudonymity not with mere disapproval but with contempt. In an ideal world, I'd ban such cowards outright. In reality, of course, there's no way, without absurd levels of policing, to stop folk assuming an identity that *seems* plausible but in fact is false. I take this opportunity, however, to urge folk *not* to engage the low-lifes who post under such guises as "No. 6" etc.. (Note how the pseudonymites are always Saddamites!)

Linz

Sanction: 3, No Sanction: 0
Post 2

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 5:21amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
I would also request that people not change font sizes. I don't even bother to read posts where the font size has been made smaller.

Post 3

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 7:00amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Amen to both Barbara and Lindsay on this. I always wonder about the pseudonymous posters, "What have they got to hide?" Given the content of many of their posts, I suspect that sometimes the answer to that question is: an affiliation that they would prefer not to make known here.

Post 4

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 7:01amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
er....huh....uh.  I'm the exception to the rule right?  

I posted my real name in the article in order to end the strike and to avoid excommunication. I thought everything was cool with us, Linz, and now you come out with this?  Are you trying to repress me?  Does Luke have to revise his charts?  Dayaamm!!!

Kathy

"Property of the Colonel....
If found, please return to the kitchen"

Post 5

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 7:06amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Katdaddy, I thought you had a special papal dispensation to post anonymously here.

Seriously, you HAVE identified yourself; I have no problem with anyone using an online "handle" as long as he makes no effort to hide his true identity.

Post 6

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 7:46amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
I couldn't agree more, & have made clear many times that I regard pseudonymity not with mere disapproval but with contempt.

Does this contempt extend to, for example, “Publius”?

Post 7

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 9:04amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Katdaddy, I thought you had a special papal dispensation to post anonymously here.
Bobby-Biddi, Why yes, of course I do. But the pope really has no influence here. He's a stoner. Its well-known that the pope smokes dope. Linz rules the roost here, and I kiss his ring. His blessing is the only one that counts.

BTW, I know you think I was pining for you during the strike and you are dead wrong. You are not my type. I don't go for guys with disembodied faces. My heart belongs to the Colonel.

Nature, is that your real name. Did you have groovy parents? I think we all need to come out and state our names or risk the wrath of our fearless leader.

Kathy

Post 8

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 9:11amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
The reason I don't post under my real name is because my real name is Vincent T. Smidlapaflapadoodlewheewhiz.

--Brant

Post 9

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 10:08amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Nature: You're making Linz's point. Back then you could lose your life for standing up for what you believed in.

Post 10

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 10:13amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Linz rules the roost here, and I kiss his ring.
Ha Linz! The hetero-virus is spreading! You've even got women kissing your ring now! :-)

Post 11

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 10:45amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Kat, it's always sad to see a woman in denial about her true feelings for me. But since I am already Spoken For, you are forgiven for your efforts to pick up the shattered emotional pieces of your life and move on.

With my typical nobility, I wish you the best.

Post 12

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 10:48amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Ha Linz! The hetero-virus is spreading! You've even got women kissing your ring now! :-)

Women?  Kissing?  It is possible that our resident Queen* is simply a figure-head and not a real Queen at all?  *gasp!*

Jason

*Not to be confused with Her Majesty, who is a different animal altogether

Sanction: 2, No Sanction: 0
Post 13

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 11:26amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Shayn wrote:  "You're making Linz's point. Back then you could lose your life for standing up for what you believed in."

That can be true to some extent today.  For example, I remember there was a SOLO member, Majhoul El-shoubasi, who was an Arab posting to SOLO from Beirut, Lebanon.  I do not know if Mahhoul is his real name but, given where he lives, I would not be surprised if it was not.  His life would be in danger if the wrong sort were to know he was an atheist, let alone an Objectivist (I use the past tense because he has not posted here in a long time).

To a lesser extent, I face a similar dilemma.  I serve in the military and there are articles in the Uniform Code of Military Justice that discourages me from publicly criticizing government policy.  There is a fine line between public and private criticism and I could be slammed if someone were to be an asshole about it.  This is true for the other active-duty personnel I know who are also SOLO members (I know of at least two).  I chose to post with my real name anyway but in hindsight I am not sure if that was a wise decision.

Post 14

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 12:15pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Let's not forget Alissa Rosenbaum.;)
Of course, if it's actually life threatening, a person is not morally required to give his or her real name in order to speak out. What matters is the message.

But otherwise, why hide?

Sanction: 5, No Sanction: 0
Post 15

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 1:25pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Barbara,

100% right on.

Unless an artistic name (which is a product name, actually) is being used, or there are serious risks of things like government security or repression, any poster who takes a pot shot at a fully identified person from behind a pseudonym is nothing but a stinking coward.

Hell, I even shaved off my goatee so that folks can see me better...

Michael

Post 16

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 8:47amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Robert,

What have I got to hide?  Just my name, since I am known to some of the members of this forum and want my ideas -- "what I think" -- to be judged independently of that knowledge.
I will be happy to leave, however, if that offends you.

As a side note, one might ask if there is always the sinister implication that you imply in pseudonymity. 

For the record, I am a supporter of ARI, if that's OK here.

Post 17

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 5:18pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Takeyes,

Of course it's OK to be on the side of ARI here, although most of us pick sides in context. I find ARI people a very mixed bag, but I do find myself in agreement, with at least some of ARI people, most of the time. TOC people, on the other hand, seldom say anything with enough precision for me to know what they are saying, much less agree or disagree.

However, if you picked a pseudonym because you don't want to be judged on your past, then you might consider simply telling us how your views - or your habits - have changed. Primacy of reality means that you change your mind with the evidence - and among real Objectivists that's a good thing.

Post 18

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 6:00pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Takeyes Fornanswer,

What a hell of a moniker! LOL. Sorry dude (or whatever). I'm not sure I can talk seriously to someone with a name like that.

You sure you ain't been banned around here before? That judging your ideas on their own merits thing just doesn't sound right...

Michael

Post 19

Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 7:34pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Actually, to me, at least at the beginning, even real names don't mean much. What do I know about the poster except a name? Here on internet, people has only one way to present themselves: their posts. As I spend more times here, I get to know a lot of people a lot better just from their posts. But I still would not assume that I'd know how they really are in real life...

Post to this threadPage 0Page 1Forward one pageLast Page
User ID Password reminder or create a free account.