Content
Store
Forum

Rebirth of Reason
War
People
Archives
Objectivism

Post to this threadMark all messages in this thread as readMark all messages in this thread as unreadPage 0Page 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Forward one pageLast Page

Post 0

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 6:13amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Cheer up George,

The loudest voices will be shouting LOVE and JUSTICE.  You can hear them as we speak.

First of all, where's the justice in supporting a country founded on religion alone?  Are not integration and compromise necessary in a social context?

Engage the enemy closely George; give them plenty to eat and drink.  Everybody's shit stinks as bad.

Do Objectivists read KARL POLANYI ?   He might inspire some solutions other than brute force.

Sharon

Sanction: 3, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 3, No Sanction: 0
Post 1

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 7:29amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
George,

Good story. You know that I agree completely.

If we can’t flip the current Iranian regime, (and I see no sign of being close despite that all the people are supposed to hate the mullahs,) then we must destroy that country’s nuclear program, now.

Jon

Sanction: 3, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 3, No Sanction: 0
Post 2

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:09amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Sharon Romagnoli Macdonald wrote:

> The loudest voices will be shouting LOVE and JUSTICE. You
> can hear them as we speak.

Love, for what? Justice? By what standard? The appeasers blithering about love and justice wouldn't know either one if Aphrodite and Themis were to come down from Olympus and take turns spanking them.

> First of all, where's the justice in supporting a country
> founded on religion alone? Are not integration and
> compromise necessary in a social context?

The Jews are as much an ethnic as they are a religious group. If Israel was founded solely on religion, do you think that Muslims and Christians would be allowed to live side-by-side with Jews? Do you think that Orthodox Jews would tolerate the presence of more liberal Jews, or even non-observant Jews if Israel was founded solely on religion?

Why should those who respect the rights of others integrate with those who do not? Why should the traders compromise with the Attilas and the witch-doctors?

If you want to decide which country to support today, don't look at the ideals on which it was founded. Examine the ideals its people practice, not the ones they preach.

The Islamo-fascist terrorists don't care who they kill. Women and children are fair game to them. Say what you will about Israel's military, but they at least make the effort to avoid harming non-combatants.

> Do Objectivists read KARL POLANYI? He might inspire
> some solutions other than brute force.

I've read Polanyi's The Great Transformation. I found Von Mises' Human Action more enlightening. And, frankly, when somebody offers me violence, I make it clear that I don't want any by giving back what they've dared to try to give me. You want justice? I'll give you justice: respect my rights and I'll respect yours. Trample my rights, and I'll kick your ass.
(Edited by Matthew Graybosch
on 7/26, 10:12am)

Post 3

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:19pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Does anyone else have difficulty detecting sarcasm, especially on the SOLHQ posts?

Sharon's "Are not integration and compromise necessary in a social context?" is a case in point. I think that the "in a social context" is the kicker. If it wasn't sarcasm then the last phrase wouldn't have been necessary. She's making fun of the way appeasers talk.

Sam

Post 4

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:32pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
I'll admit that I have trouble detecting sarcasm in internet posts; I'm used to depending on vocal tone to determine if somebody is being sarcastic. Sharon, if you were being sarcastic, then please accept my apologies for misunderstanding you.

Sanction: 7, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 7, No Sanction: 0
Post 5

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 2:11pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Matthew:

I don't think you have to apologize — I was being sarcastic.

Sam

Post 6

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 4:53pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
George- beautiful and powerful, as your contributions here usually are.
I hope the message gets through.

Post 7

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 7:35pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Where are the Tom Tancredo's when you need them?

Post 8

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 8:08pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit

George, I felt cold chills go through me as I read it -- all of it, the story and your finale. I felt as if I were seeing it all, along with you.

""Cry heaven if in vain passed that night of rage, cry heaven if by morning I resume my trod, not learning the lesson taught me by this age." I am so terribly afraid that it will happen again -- and in Israel -- and that only heaven will cry,

Barbara

Sanction: 5, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 5, No Sanction: 0
Post 9

Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 7:59pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
George,

Thanks for posting this. As a former Israeli, I dare say your scenario lacks realism. After Osiraq and Entebbe, it ought to be clear that Israelis understand the lessons of history, even if the rest of the world is still in ostrich-imitation mode. If an Islamic nuclear weapon ever explodes, it will explode in situ.

(Edited by Adam Reed
on 7/28, 8:48pm)

Post 10

Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 8:39pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
George,

I am glad to see you in an article again. Powerful. Very, very good.

One thing the West always should keep in mind on allowing nuclear capacities to extremely irrational and belligerent cultures is that nuclear capacity is a fruit of Western culture. It is not a birthright of Islam, nor of fanatical Judaism, nor of any other such group of people. It is not even the birthright of Russia, which obtained it because secrets were stolen and the Russian government invested heavily.

The real lesson to be learned is that irrational people will act irrationally. If they have nuclear bombs, they will use them whenever their whim so dictates, claiming that they were commanded to do so by Allah, God or whatever.

Michael

Post 11

Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 10:14pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Michael, the United States needs a foreign policy based on a ideology not some collectivised "West," --keeping it's mind on the fruit of western culture. You act like you don't know "it" is a lot of different countries, most of which are in a downward spiral to destruction.

The "Western" world system has collapsed internally: there is no longer a set of rules that governs all the players.

Your foreign policy version of "Bipartisanship" is how we got to where we are. We need a policy that will defend America's interests, to attack threats irrespective of the "West's" disapproval.

What use is a bromide: "irrational people will act irrationally."

The fantasy ideology of radical Islam's essence is, the West (greatest symbol, U.S.) must cease to exist.

Sanction: 6, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 6, No Sanction: 0
Post 12

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 3:44amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit

(Edited by Lindsay Perigo
on 7/29, 9:39pm)

Post 13

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 4:09amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
George, this very thing has worried me all my life. It's amazing that the human race has gone 60 years without blowing up a city with one of those things. My gut tells me we won't make it another 60.

It's hard to get at the truth about what's out there. In one way it would seem rather easy explode a suitcase nuke in a major city. I mean they exist, right? It's just a matter of putting it on a boat and then in the car and then whammo. Then again, for all the advances in technology much of the world remains a primitive place. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to go look for a nuclear bomb and I expect I would get a stern talking-to if I tried.

Also, if American intelligence is doing anything I hope it's that they are accounting for all those nukes. Again, I just don't know what the reality is. I don't know how much real damage one of those would do. Too many unknowns.

Post 14

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 4:28amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Who the hell gets complimentary copies of the FreeRad?

Jesus suffering fuck! Bloody slackers!

Make 'em pay for it!

I do. Fuck it all to hell!

Ross

Post 15

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 4:37amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit

(Edited by Lindsay Perigo
on 7/29, 9:40pm)

Sanction: 57, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 57, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 57, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 57, No Sanction: 0
Post 16

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 9:29amSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Linz, you are disgusting.

Post 17

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 12:52pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
I have no stomach for this again.

Sanction: 14, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 14, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 14, No Sanction: 0
Post 18

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 1:58pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Yawn. I saw this twilight zone episode before:
http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=131526

Theodore Bikel is malevolence personified as Oliver Crangle, a self-appointed "social conscience" who spends all his waking hours persecuting innocent people whom he has designated as evil. After casually ruining several lives, this Crangle declares that he has in his possession the means to shrink all evil people in the world to a height of two feet -- and that this metamorphosis will occur exactly at Four O'Clock.

(Edited by Joe Maurone
on 7/29, 2:05pm)

Sanction: 27, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 27, No Sanction: 0
Sanction: 27, No Sanction: 0
Post 19

Friday, July 29, 2005 - 3:01pmSanction this postReply
Bookmark
Link
Edit
Linz, you are a coward. Do not just quote people- name them. I haven't read the last Free Radical. Besides the fact that I am pretty busy, I noted that it was essentially aimed at a New Zealand audience.
This is as it should be. Good bye, big fish. Enjoy your little pond.

Post to this threadPage 0Page 1Page 2Page 3Page 4Page 5Page 6Forward one pageLast Page

User ID Password or create a free account.