Mr. Perigo --
You've probably never heard from me or noticed my name on your site before but I would very much like to give you my thoughts.
You have created the best forum Objectivism has for rapid expansion. You've gathered a core group of people together that are committed to a system of thinking and a sense of life that is absolutely critical in combating the anti-life mentality of those who oppose western civilization and human liberty. Our ideology has a difficult road ahead of it. We who understand the basic principles upon which human liberty and human success depend are a very small minority. It is essential that the most talented and honest advocates of these principles find a way to keep this site intact. It is essential that someone or some quality group of individuals maintain a firm leadership committed to the quality of its content and to the advocacy of pro life ideology. It will be a waste of time and resources to try reassembling a similar group of people all over again. SOLO, if headed by the right combination of minds has the opportunity over the next several years to become a very large voice in the realm of ideas and in recruiting new independent minds to our cause. It will move well ahead of groups like the ARI and TOC because it will simply out recruit them for most of the good young minds who are looking for an Objectivist organization. Like any society, or sub group SOLO is held up by its best minds. Without the 10-15 best people here this whole thing will go down in flames. I've been very closely watching this site for about a year and here is my opinion of who some of these people are.
1. Robert Bidinotto - One of the greatest advocates Objectivism has. A brilliant, concise thinker who has the ability to get to the very heart of the important issues. The fact that a quality mind like his has spent so much time posting messages at SOLO is a clear indication of the status this site has reached.
2. Alec Mouhibian - If Objectivism has a leader of the future (and I am not sure it needs ONE leader) he seems to be one of the clear candidates. This is a creative young mind that has the ability to communicate important ideas with clear rationality and incredible wit and charisma.
3. Joseph Rowlands - I wish he would write more articles because whenever I read one of his old ones I gain new insights on whatever subject he is discussing. He also appears to be an excellent administrator and leader.
4. Tibor Machan - You may call him a Saddamite, but this guy is one of the most important foot soldiers fighting the leftist monstrosity that is modern academia. He puts out articles SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK challenging their premises and fighting for the cause of liberty. Luckily he allows his writings to be posted on this site.
5. Barbara Branden - This is one of the key advocates of Objectivism from the very beginning and SOLO is the only important Objectivst group that can grant her the voice she deserves. Barbara Branden was an intimate partner of Ayn Rand and thus can share with us insights that are not available anywhere else. She is a voice of reason and a good leader.
6. Chris Sciabarra - Like Mr. Machan, Chris Sciabarra is a tireless advocate of liberty and truth facing its greatest enemy -- the leftist mob which controls our universities. He is one of Objectivism’s greatest scholars and deserves a great deal of respect.
7. James Kilbourne - A wise and sensitive mind who is one of the greatest advocates of the Objectivist sense of life that this site has.
8. Michael Stewart Kelly - One of the most ridiculously passionate advocates of the Objectivist sense of life on the planet.
9. Andrew Bissell - A clear and concise young thinker who is a model for the type of contributor this site should try to recruit.
And there are several more that I am not listing here -- George Cordero and Adam Reed come immediately to mind. You personally rank very highly on this list and you deserve a great deal of credit for putting this whole thing together. You have a unique and eloquent voice and an unbridled passion that cannot be disputed but you are allowing things to slip. Through your lack of quality participation and your silly tirades you have seriously offended AT LEAST 3 and probably more of those 10-15 key people. Luckily one of them has decided to forgive you one more time. You need to do everything you can to convince the other two to come back because without these types of people these forums will descend into mediocrity (and if you look around they seem to be already) and these people will prove to be extremely hard to replace. Please make amends with these people, get things back on track with this website and make the necessary efforts to ensure that the type of nonsense that you perpetrated earlier today never happens again. What you have created here is too important for you to allow it to be destroyed. It is also of very great value to me and that as why I am appealing with you to take the necessary actions to make sure this thing keeps going in the right direction.
(Edited by Jason Quintana on 7/29, 11:34pm)